Пятница Ponderings: Being Grateful


Heather Stillufsen
Ponder: to consider something deeply and thoroughly; meditate Пятница (PYAHT-nee-tsuh): Friday in Russian
-------------------

As we leave our week of Thanksgiving, I, like many people, have been thinking about Gratitude.

I'm snarky and have too many opportunities to rant, but in my Weekend Reflections, I always try and find something to be grateful for.

Last year was difficult for many reasons and while this year has been different, it has had its own frustrations as we have started a new Chiropractic practice. I am grateful that The Doctor and I have been able to face these challenges together. I am grateful for him.

These last few years have challenged me in so many ways. And these last couple of months as I have struggled with my own personal issues and thought processes, I am grateful for my husband's patience and counsel.

It is very easy sometimes to only focus on the problems in our lives or the things we don't have. The every day tasks and responsibilities that can get overwhelming. Going over the finances and paying bills is depressing and I dread it. And as I have been learning about billing and insurance companies from the doctor's perspective, I have struggled to see the blessings and not focus on the negative, even though most of my dealings with insurance companies are discouraging.

And, too often these last few years, we only see the negative on our news feeds. Our country is divided politically and what we see from our media would have us think that all of America hates each other. I don't believe that is true, but it is difficult to look at the world through the lens of journalists and be grateful for anything. However, we should. Politically, we have the privilege of voting, even if our candidate doesn't win. That we can vote is something to be grateful for.

Frustrations and irritations and politics are a part of life. We don't get through it unscathed.

I do believe that there is always something to be grateful for even if you have to search deeply. While it may be buried, it is there.

I'm not going to tell you to be a Pollyanna, because heaven knows I'm not. I'm the Queen of Snark. And while I'd like to be a glass half-full person, it requires effort for me to do so. Some days, it's all I can do to get out of bed and get dressed, let alone be cheerful and happy about it. Other days, I can see the joy and the beauty that is around me.

In Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban, Albus Dumbledore says, "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light."

There is so much truth to that statement and I would expect nothing less from Professor Dumbledore (or J.K. Rowling, if you want to be pedantic).

Even when it seems darkest, there is always hope. Whether that hope comes from within, from your faith, or from someone else, it may be buried, but it is there. I also believe that light and hope come from expressing our gratitude and acknowledging our blessings. Even if you have to dig deep to find those blessings.

One of the reasons I love Thanksgiving is the focus on Gratitude.

Some of the things I am grateful for this month? Two amazing sons. They are such awesome people. I watch them serve and care about others and I am immensely proud. I am grateful for my husband. For his strength and unwavering love. I am grateful to work with him as we build this business. I am grateful for friends, both online and in real life. I am blessed to know and love some amazing people. I am grateful for our home; for the love and laughter that is here. For the haven it has become. I am grateful for family. I am grateful for books. I am grateful for the privilege of voting and voting my conscience. I am grateful to live in a country that allows me freedom of speech and freedom of religion. I am grateful for autumn and red and gold leaves falling and cooler weather.

What are some of the things you're grateful for this year? When you think about Gratitude, what comes to mind? I hope that if you haven't already, you can take a few moments today to reflect on the blessings we have in our lives. Because there is always something to be grateful for.

Comments

  1. I try to look on the bright side too. When my husband complains about a bill, I tell him I'm thankful we're able to pay it. I'm thankful for my amazing family and circle of friends. I'm thankful for our warm home and food to eat. I know I'm blessed and try to remember it on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how real this post is! I also believe that there is always ALWAYS something for which we can be thankful. Just being an American is an incredible blessing. I'm also thankful for family, friends, my faith, good neighbors, books, etc., etc., etc.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm a big believer in being real. And I agree. There is always something to be grateful for.

      Delete
  3. Good article. I am facing many of these issues as well..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I coulԁn't resist commenting. Perfectly ᴡritten!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment