Пятница Ponderings: Too Many Tabs Open

Ponder: to consider something deeply and thoroughly; meditate 
Пятница (PYAHT-nee-tsuh): Friday in Russian

-------------------

We have several computers and at least one laptop in our home but, more often than not, I end up using my tablet. The Doctor had wanted to get me a tablet so I could use it for ebooks. But, I prefer print books, so I resisted for a long time.

I finally gave in and I love it. I'm on my second one. I have a wireless keyboard I can use so it's convenient to type blog posts and reviews. The Doctor likes to tease me for how much I actually use it. I don't play lots of games, but I have a word find game I enjoy and I've been known to play Angry Birds. I have banking apps and I love my Albertson's app for shopping. I also have the Kindle app and I have a ton of ebooks on here. It is convenient for reading and travel.


I like sitting at the kitchen table and blogging or reviewing. I'm where the family is and The Doctor can do his patient work in the office.

My tablet was sitting on the table a week or so ago and The Doctor and the boys wanted to look up something, so they used it. They proceeded to inform me that I had 89 tabs open. Yes, 89. They were shocked and I was instructed that my tablet was slow because I had so many tabs open.


My first reaction was to tell them that those 89 tabs were a great example of what my brain is like. I have way too many tabs open in my brain. I know I'm probably not the only person, man or woman, to be that way.

I think the tabs analogy is perfect. It really does describe how thoughts can be. Our minds are swirling with thoughts and ideas and worries. We are bombarded with information at every turn and our brains try to process it all. There are tabs opening and closing all the time. Some tabs remain open indefinitely. Others close without our actually having learned something or resolved anything.

With a computer or a tablet, having too many browser tags open can slow down processing. People are the same way. Too many tabs open, too much worry and information, can slow us down. We get hyper focused and caught in information loops. Our mind browsers lock up and just like a computer needs a restart, so do we.

How do we do that? How do we restart and refresh our mind browsers? I wish I had answers for you. I wish I had the secret. I have a lot of suggestions though that, while trivial, do hold merit.

I do know that sleep is good. Sleep is the perfect example of a computer restart in humans. Finding ways and taking the time to relax is good. Even 5 or 10 minutes with a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, sitting quietly can help. The Doctor likes meditation. Exercise works for some people: a workout or just a walk. Reading a book, taking the time to do something creative or something active can help.

Are your browser tabs tasks you can complete or delegate? Then do so and close them. Are your tabs something you can act on? Then do so and close them or bookmark them (make a physical note) and then close them.

Most importantly, be aware. Be aware that your mind is swirling and why.

I sat down this week and sorted and closed most of those 89 browser tabs. At this very moment, I currently have 27 tabs open. Still too many, but better than 89. Ten of those will close within the hour, because they are articles or posts that I will schedule to share on my Facebook page and Twitter. That leaves 17, a much more manageable number than 89.

Now when he sees me on my tablet, The Artist asks, "How many tabs do you have open, Mom?"

I want to reply, "On my tablet or in my brain?"

Comments

  1. Organization, and a physical planner are how I keep sane. If I have it all planned, and written down. I can close my "tabs" and come back when I need to check it. I've also learned that I need to make time for reading and things that I like. I need to take care of myself, so I can take care of my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still physically write things down. Lists, notes, etc. I can't function otherwise. And you're so right, taking care of yourself first is important. We're not as good at that as we should be.

      Delete

Post a Comment