Childhood Favorites...Summer Pony

Childhood favorites. Everyone has a favorite book or author from childhood. A book that touched them or changed them. A book that perhaps initiated their love of reading and put them on the path of libraries and learning.

Childhood Favorites is a monthly series focusing on beloved books from the past. 

Donald Zolan, Quiet Time.

I loved the Scholastic Book Orders that we used to bring home from school. I would mark them up and choose which book I absolutely needed to have. My mother was fairly indulgent when it came to books and I was always able to get one or two.

Summer Pony was one I got from the book order. Ginny always wanted her own horse and one summer, her parents took her to this run down horse ranch to choose a horse that she would be able to keep for the summer. The pony she chose was neglected, shaggy and unkempt with two different color eyes. But Ginny fell in love and named the pony Mokey.


That summer, she learned to care for Mokey and even eventually showed her. But, when the summer ended, Ginny didn't want to return Mokey to that old rundown ranch.

I loved Ginny. My grandfather raised quarter horses and every summer we would visit his ranch and I would get to ride horses. It is one of my fondest memories and to read a book about a girl who was my age, who had a horse, was pretty neat.

I still have Summer Pony. It stands up to time.

What about you? What is one of your childhood favorites?

Comments