Books I have forgotten...

Each month I want to revisit some of my past reviews. One of the reasons I started this book blog was to remember what books I have read. My memory isn't the greatest anymore and I would read a book and then not remember if I liked it or what it was even about.

Maybe one of these will prompt you to seek out an older, but amazing book. Or, if you've read one of these and your review was different, please share!

--------------------------------------------

The Ultimate Career: The Art of Homemaking by Daryl Hoole
5/5 Stars
08/2007

This is one book I will go back to again, and again. I have learned so much and have implemented some great organizational ideas from reading this. The book is full of great ideas for raising a family and keeping house. It's even better though, when you read it from the viewpoint that motherhood is a divine calling and that the family is eternal.


Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks
11/2007
4/5 Stars

Riveting and engrossing. I loved the narrator, Anna. I loved how she learned about herbs and natural healing to try and stem the tide of disease. In many ways it was ignorance that killed so many people: they didn't understand the need to wash their hands or bedding and clothes and even burn things that could be contaminated. When they finally do these things, the crisis abates. A wonderful exploration of the time and the people.


The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger
3/5 Stars
10/2007

I laughed out loud in so many places. This is not the most well-written book. It's rather choppy and there are places where I wish the author had gone back and tied up loose ends. However, you cheer for Andrea and you hate Miranda which is exactly what you are supposed to do. I read The Devil Wears Prada before the film came out, but I think this is one case where the film adaptation is actually better than the book. I don't often say that, but the film did a better job of capturing Andy and Miranda than the book was able to portray.

What about you? What are some of the books you've read in previous years?

Comments