Mom's Night Out...Review

About the book:
Mom’s Night Out is a novelization of the hilarious family comedy that celebrates real family life—where everything can go wrong and still turn out all right.

All Allyson and her friends want is a peaceful, grown-up evening of dinner and conversation . . . a long-needed moms’ night out. But in order to enjoy high heels, adult conversation and food not served in a bag, they need their husbands to watch the kids for a few hours—what could go wrong?

Chronicling one night out gone awry, three harried moms, their husbands, a sister-in-law with a misplaced baby, a tattoo parlor owner, a motorcycle gang, and a bewildered cabbie all learn to embrace the beautiful mess called parenting. This book spotlights the unfulfilled expectations and serial self-doubts many moms feel . . . then reassures us that the key is raising kids in a loving home. Mom’s Night Out is an endearing, true-to-life comedy.

I could relate to Allyson and Sondra in so many ways.  My kids are teenagers now and my mothering challenges have changed, but I well remember the haggard days of mothering littles.  The story is a bit far-fetched and not quite plausible and I don't believe that every dad out there is as clueless as these men seemed to be, but the story is endearing.  I loved the Christian elements, I loved the focus on motherhood and its importance.  The scene with Bones and Allyson in the police station is beautiful as this huge intimidating biker/tattoo artist encourages a harried, doubting young mom.

I haven't seen the film yet, but it's at our dollar theater and so my sister and I are going.  As far as I can tell, this book is a true to the film novelization and it's laugh out loud funny.

My only complaint is that the copy I received reads as if it were an unedited ARC with some glaring and careless editing errors.  My copy is not marked as an ARC, so I don't know if this is truly a finished copy and if it is, errors like these are disappointing.

Thanks to Litfuse Publicity for the opportunity to review this book.  You can learn more about Tricia Goyer here.  You can see other reviews and tour stops here. You can purchase your own copy here.

Read 6/14

* * * *
4/5 Stars

Comments