Biking Across America: My Coast-to-Coast Adventure and the People I Met Along the Way...Review

About the book: 
After Paul Stutzman finished hiking the Appalachian Trail, he found himself longing for another challenge, another adventure. Trading his hiking boots for a bicycle, Paul set off to discover more of America. Starting at Neah Bay, Washington, and ending at Key West, Florida, Paul traversed the 5,000-mile distance between the two farthest points in the contiguous United States. Along the way he encountered nearly every kind of terrain and weather the country had to offer--as well as hundreds of fascinating people whose stories readers will love. Through cold and heat, loneliness and exhaustion, abundance and kindness, Paul pedaled on. His reward--and the readers'--is a glimpse of a noble yet humble America that still exists and inspires. Anyone who longs for adventure, who loves travel and stories of travel, and who loves this place called America will enjoy this book. 

After reading Hiking Through, I was anxious for more of Paul Stutzman's adventures.  This time, he biked nearly 5,000 miles across America, from the top of Washington to the bottom of Florida.  He chronicles his journey and the people he met along the way. I enjoyed his descriptions of the landscape and countryside.  Being most familiar with the San Francisco Bay Area, I really enjoyed that portion of his ride.  I'd also love to see the Continental Divide after reading his description.

Shorter and not quite as detailed or in depth as Hiking Through, I really wished for a map that chronicled his path.  I'm very familiar with the geography of America, but it would have been nice to see a graphic representation of the path he took.

Paul's journey is very much his ministry and as he meets people, he is quick to share his belief in God. His message conveyed throughout this book is that God is in control and that walking with Christ is the answer to finding happiness and contentment in life and there are no coincidences. Like I did with Hiking Through, I found insightful passages that I wanted to remember and I once again had the realization that this country is full of truly good people.

Available May 2013 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group. Thanks to Donna of Baker Publishing for the opportunity to review this book.  You can learn more about Paul Stutzman here. You can purchase your own copy here.

Read 5/13

* * * * *
5/5 Stars

Comments

  1. This sounds like a fun read. I love vicariously experiencing other people's adventures which I would probably never try myself. But I can't believe he didn't put a map of his route in there! (Unless you were reading an ARC and they added it to the final version?)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment