The Art Forger...Review

About the book:
On March 18, 1990, thirteen works of art today worth over $500 million were stolen from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston. It remains the largest unsolved art heist in history, and Claire Roth, a struggling young artist, is about to discover that there’s more to this crime than meets the eye.

Making a living reproducing famous artworks for a popular online retailer and desperate to improve her situation, Claire is lured into a Faustian bargain with Aiden Markel, a powerful gallery owner. She agrees to forge a painting—a Degas masterpiece stolen from the Gardner Museum—in exchange for a one-woman show in his renowned gallery. But when that very same long-missing Degas painting is delivered to Claire’s studio, she begins to suspect that it may itself be a forgery.

Her desperate search for the truth leads Claire into a labyrinth of deceit where secrets hidden since the late nineteenth century may be the only evidence that can now save her life.

From an art perspective, this is an educational novel.  The portrayal of how modern forgery is accomplished with methods and techniques was fascinating and I loved that Degas was the artist in question.  The author has definitely done her research and the story reads as authentic, although I do not have an art history background.  I didn't love the characters and found them somewhat stereotypical.  The story wasn't a quick one for me and it took a long time to get through this one. The art history standpoint was terrific.

Bottom line:  I liked it, I didn't love it.  I could have done without the moderate, unnecessary profanity.  I hate the "F" word.

Thanks to Amazon Vine for the opportunity to review this book.  You can learn more about B.A. Shapiro here.  You can purchase your own copy here.

Read 12/12

* * *
3/5 Stars

Comments

  1. I don't like the f-word in books either. I really want to read this one because I like art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind some language as long as it fits the story - it doesn't sound like it does in this case. I'll be reading this soon - I hope it's a quicker read for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate the f word I recently borrowed a book from the library and sometime crossed it out of the book. You would love Paris ar Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harsh language doesn't bother me here and there, but not when it seems to be used unnecessarily. I received an unexpected copy of this book, but not yet sure if I'll read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doesn't sound as good as I thought it was.

    THANKS for your review.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment