The Betrayal...Review

About the book:
Book 2 of Abram's Daughters. Spanning three generations, the Abram's Daughters series paints a powerful family portrait of four Amish sisters growing up in Gobbler's Knob, Lancaster County. In Book One, The Covenant, when oldest sister Sadie is beguiled by a handsome, dark-haired ''Englischer,'' it is younger sister Leah who suffers from her sister's shameful behavior. In Book Two, The Betrayal, Leah and her beloved Jonas are separated for half the year when he accepts a long-desired carpenter's apprenticeship in Ohio. They are confident that by letter and heart-felt promises, their love is strong enough to survive the temporary separation. But never could they have foreseen the bitter test facing them and their families.

The second in the Abram's Daughters series. I really liked it. Easy to read, but not simple. It keeps your interest.

The role that the church plays in the lives of the Plain people is fascinating. It makes me think about our own lives and our own involvement in our individual faiths. Do we see our religious leaders as controlling, the way outsiders might? Or is it all natural and normal? Definitely interesting. I don't understand the concept of shunning because of unrepentant sin or perceived disloyalty. I think it's a sad way of life and I can't see it serving a good purpose, but it their way.

I felt so sorry for Leah and how her happiness was destroyed by her family's manipulation and betrayal. Her faith is so strong and should be rewarded. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.

Thanks to my local library for having a copy I could borrow.

Read 2/08

* * * *
4/5 Stars

Comments

  1. This sounds really good. I read "The Shunning" but couldn't find her others.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment